Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentines Day/A Rant About Fashion

Fashion. What is it? The dictionary says it is "a popular trend, esp. in styles of dress, ornament, or behavior", but is it really just that? If I don't dress like in a magazine, does it mean I'm unfashionable?

This concept has always been hard for me to understand. Fashion means you dress according to a popular trend. Before we continue on though, I should define the word stylish too: "Having or displaying a good sense of style".

So basically, you don't need to be stylish to be fashionable even though many fashionable things are stylish. That's were I have a hard time. I always say I like fashion and that I would love to work in the fashion industry, but I have difficulty being fashionable. I find most fashion very uninteresting; I much prefer style. I like creating new things. Fashion just keeps me away from my creativity. The problem is people are surprised and stare when they see someone that doesn't follow popular trends therefore it can be very intimidating to be innovating. I had a great self-esteem a few years back, but now I don't and I have a hard time creating things original without thinking about people judging me.

I guess fashion is the easy way out when you don't want to invent something out of the ordinary and that's the road I've been following for the last few months.

By the way, I posted two outfits because if I posted only one this would lack originality.









Outfit #1:
T-Shirt: Thrift store
Collar: DIY
Pants: Topshop

Outfit #2:
Vest: Army Supply Store
Shirt: Vintage


No comments:

Post a Comment